Developing a Theology of Technology
Does the Bible have anything to say about technology?
New technology does not force me to do anything, however it does give me new choices I never had before. This thought leads me to say, this is why it is incumbent upon parents to teach their children discernment. How to make those choices. Our children will face more and more of these choices during their lifetime. We must help them learn what is technology and what is their responsibility.
Camp Infinity exists to partner with Christian parents to help equip their children to have solid Bible answers to these questions. I call these the theology of technology.
Here are a few highlights:
- technology is man's efforts of making tools to help him fulfill his Creation Mandate (glorify God, tame & harness the earth)
- technology doesn't make man do anything, but it does offer new choices which need to be evaluated
- technology is evidence of a lovely and merciful God in that it provides man with temporary relief from the affects of the Curse (consider an MRI scanner which allows early detection of cancer)
- technology has become the idol of the day in its false promise to provide permanent relief from the affects of the Curse (only the Gospel of Jesus Christ can do this)
- technology involves man making tools made from things God created
- change in technology always results in a change in culture
- all technology is tainted by the affects of the Curse
- our greatest temptation with technology is to use it as a substitute for God
So How Should a Christian View Present Technologies?
Christians who live God-honoring lives in the present digital world are those who can discern the tendencies built into all technology and then decide when those tendencies are in line with godly values, and when those tendencies are damaging to the soul.
When we are aware of the tendencies and values inherent in our technology, we have the best chance of avoiding the negative tradeoffs it brings and instead using the technology to serve and honor God.
I look forward to helping the young people the Lord sends to Camp Infinity know how to effectively answer the question "how should I use technology to glorify my Creator and Savior?"
Where Science & Technology Meet Truth