Ci 1.0 Experiences & Ci 2.0 Events
September 2015 Newsletter
A BIT of News from Ci
Ci 1.0 Experiences & Ci 2.0 Events
Ci 2.0 Plans
- Ci 2.0 Events
- Ci 1.0 Apologetics Applied
- Ci 1.0 STEM Experienced
- Ci by the Numbers
- Blessings & Needs
Based upon the success of Ci 1.0, we are happy to announce plans for Ci 2.0.
- Ci Mini - program designed to give Christian schools & home school groups a 2-3 day Ci experience of STEM + Creation Apologetics Made Personal; starting in October; contact us via email for more details ([email protected])
- Ci Mobile - program designed to bring a taste of Ci to your campus or home school group; contact us for more details
- College Apologetics Camp - May 2015 (exact dates TBA)
- Ci STEM & Apologetics Day Camp - to coincide with AiG's Mega Conference in June
- Ci Counselor Training Camp - July 1-4, 2015
- Ci STEM & Apologetics 7-Day Overnight Camp - July 5 - 11, 2015 *
- Ci STEM & Apologetics 7-Day Overnight Camp - July 12 - 18, 2015 **
- Ci STEM & Apologetics 5-Day Overnight Camp - July 20 - 24, 2015 **
* Capacity for each overnight camp is 40.
** Contingent on each of the prior weeks having at least 30 campers.
In order to help us know how best to plan the additional weeks, we have an Intention Form
for you to let us know your interest. There is no obligation or fees associated with this. Please let us know your interest in our Ci 2.0 camps. Ci 1.0 Apologetics Applied
Our mission is to equip young people at the intersection of STEM & biblical apologetics. One of the ways we engage the hearts of our students with applied apologetics, is our CSI Adventure. This is a counselor led tour through various museums using iPads that contain heart provoking questions. Here are a few examples of the questions each student is challenged to consider at the Creation Museum:
Ci 1.0 STEM Experienced
- Why was man placed into the Garden of Eden?
- Is work the result of the Curse? Explain your answer from Scripture.
- Does the Bible say Adam named all the animals? How many animals is it estimated Adam named?
- How can you show that you love God? (see John 14:15)
- Give an example from your recent past as to how love for God has been demonstrated in your life.
- On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your love for God today?
- So on the one hand we see our ability to express love for God is related to our obedience. Now let's look at a challenge. Look up Romans 3:23. What does this say about our ability to be good enough to please God?
- List the major attacks against the authority of the Bible over the years. Which one seems to dominate today?
- What was God's solution to our sin problem?
- Have you dealt with your sinful position before God? Explain.
The Physics Zipline Adventure was one of the most favored STEM activities of Ci 1.0. Here is a summary of the STEM that students experienced in this event:
Ci by the Numbers
- build a clinometer
- used a straw, string, metal washer and protractor to make
- enables the user to measure an angle from horizontal
- measure the height of the towers
- measure the distance from where you stand to the base of the object of which you want to measure the height
- look through the straw portion of the clinometer at the position you of which you want to find the height
- the washer will hang from the string over the number on the protractor that corresponds to the angle
- using trigonometry you can calculate the height of the object if you know the angle and the distance you are standing from the object
- why? – it helps calculate the length of the cable the camper will ride which is used to calculate his speed
- determine how to calculate speed using a zipline simulator
- used to help campers figure out how to calculate speed
- gave opportunity to engineer and modify a carrier design
- ride the zipline and measure speed
- used a stopwatch to take the time measurements which were used with the distance of the cable to calculate the average speed
- collect & analyze the data
- afterward we did the math
- used trigonometry to solve for length of cable the campers rode and divided by time from stopwatch
Blessings & Needs
- 620 - Facebook likes
- 728 - newsletter recipients
- 2082 - maximum reached in a single FB post
- 100 - number of surveys submitted (campers, parents, counselors)
- 506 - visitors to website last month
- 1789 - pages viewed on website last month
Thank you for your interest and prayers for Ci. We rejoice as we see the clear hand of God opening doors for Ci 2.0 this fall and beyond. If you know of a young person (grades 7-12) who has an appetite for knowledge and the pursuit of truth, please tell them about Ci 2.0 events. We are excited to be working on a 6-year curriculum that will engage a young person from 7th thru 12th grade, preparing them to pursue their higher education and become modern day Daniels who are competent to stand before the kings of their culture and proclaim God's Truth and point them to Jesus Christ!
- Counselor Reunite Cookout
- One of the blessings of starting Ci is the many connections God has given me to enjoy with college students. Something I prayed He would allow me to keep after retiring from the college classroom. I love their excitement and enthusiasm and strong desire to use their talents and time to serve their Creator and Savior!
- We had a great time of testimonies and fellowship with Ci 1.0 team before they started back to college.
- Ci 2.0 Counselor applications
- Photobook completed
- They look great and will remind our campers of the head & heart lessons they received during Ci 1.0.
- These will be sent out next week to our Ci 1.0 alumni.
- We exceeded our goal of 600 likes on Facebook.
- We exceeded our goal of 700 folks on our newsletter list.
- Our application to TechSoup was granted - this gives us access to some great software at a fraction of the cost giving us the tools we need to maintain the highest level of communication.
- PRAYER REQUEST: please join us in asking the Lord to send us precisely the young people He wants at Ci 2.0.