What Makes “Robots & God” Unique?
Each year, Camp Infinity travels to over a dozen different states to present our Robots & God workshops. These hands-on workshops are popular with kids of all ages with schools, homeschool groups, and others often asking us to come back for more. It’s a great introduction to programming, building, and teamwork with something relatively familiar to most of them—Lego! (Lego Mindstorm EV3 Robotics Kits to be exact).
Here’s what makes Ci’s Robots & God workshops stand out from other STEM workshops your child may have attended.
- When you buy your child a new Lego set, it always comes with a little book of instructions so they can build whatever is on the box. But we don’t give out “Lego style” build instructions. We want kids to express their creativity and work on spatial ability (“the capacity to understand and remember the spatial relations among objects”). Spatial ability is important in STEM fields, especially as technology increases, and so we want to help kids develop this skill as a team.
- We also don’t just give them the parts they need. We want them to learn to identify the different parts, figure out which part is used for what, and discover what they will need to complete their project.
- Programming can’t be an afterthought in today’s technological age. So we teach kids how to program before they begin building. This generation of kids grew up playing with Lego so many of them naturally gravitate toward what they know—building! The challenge for many of them is programming their creation. So we start with programming and then move on to building.
- In addition to oral teaching, we include written instructions. This enhances reading comprehension, another essential skill.
- And the most distinct feature of Robots & God is the “God” part. Our workshops don’t just teach STEM for the sake of STEM. We love STEM and teach it with excellence, but our utmost passion and desire is for kids to grow closer to their Creator while they copy what he has done—designing things! So each workshop includes biblical teaching about a “Theology of Technology” so kids can think biblically about technology in our rapidly changing world.
We’ve been doing these workshops for many years with thousands of kids. We love seeing their excitement and determination to complete their project and show it off to their parents. And we love seeing a passion for programming and design ignited as they swap ideas and tinker with their project to make it just perfect.
If Robots & God sounds like something your group would love, consider hosting a workshop. Visit our website to learn more and to apply.